jueves, 6 de noviembre de 2008

Roots


When I was a child, my father used to took me to visit museums and buildings made by famous architects like Gaudi. My father has a contemporary design company and he always has loved the architecture, art and design. I always have had a very close relationship with him, I admire him because he always explain me a lot of interesting and exciting things. He has a great sensibility and is like a philospher. We use to spend our summer holidays at the mountains of Switzerland, in concrete, in Verbier. During our excursions throught the mountains, where we found an analogy to the hyperbolic paraboloids that used to use Gaudi in his bovedas, he encouraged me to appreciate the beauty and majesty of the nature, the glaciers, the silent of the mountains and talked to me about the "Great Architect" that "built" those wonders. Furthermore, he taught me about the great value of the effort to get the summits of the mountains. Therefore, I experienced about the plenitude after great efforts, not just climing the mountains but also in the every day life. As my father works making chairs and devoloping designs I started to have interested about design besides architecture. The first book that fall in my hands was "Thonet", the story of the first factory in the world that start to manufacturate curved wood chairs. I started to make some drawings of chairs. My teachers got early surprised because of the rest of the students draw without perspective contrary of me, i.e: the chairs with the 4 legs. This is nothing extraordinary but curious. All this experiences made me dreaming to be and architect from the 7 to the 13 years old approximatly.
Over the years, my father also explained me about the many things that surrounds the everyday life of his business. So my interests start to change course into to business world. So when I was like forteen I started to read about business magazines, The Economist, Actualidad Economica, Finantial Times...I became really passionate about leadership and management because I discovered that under the business life there is a complete philosphy based on the effort, overcoming obstacles, fighting in a team work. One phrase of The Economist Editor at the Spetial Survey for the 20th Century called "A Freedom´s journey" marked my memory: "The values for the XXI century are: humility, equality, fraternity" or something like this...I cannot remember exactly the three values but I kept the one: "Humility", because I always think that this is the most important value for CEOs, presidents and any kind of leadership.
Time arrived to go to University and at last I chose Business Administration.

4 comentarios:

Lua dijo...

Hi, May,

Congratulations!! My best wishes for your blog.

Hugssss from Madrid.

Lúa

migi dijo...

hola May,

feleicidades por tu blog, ya tienes a una seguidora!!

mil besos,
migi

Jordi dijo...

Mai més May,

I supose you understand well...me catalan-english, do you have a very beatyful mind of course

Me father love's also Gaudi, and he also make furniture (clasic chairs and decoration). In the little Gaudi's church named 'Cripta Güell' is the only one magic site, where i dream 'i wont to be married, one month of Desember at 12'. I dont know it's a little arquitecture or it's a big design.

Jordi Torres

Mi padre también amaba a Gaudí y hacía sillas y como muebles como el tuyo. En el único sitio con el que me casaría con alguien, sería a las doce en Diciembre y en la Cripta Güell el lugar más mágico del mundo. No se si és una arquitectura pequeña o un diseño grande

Jordi dijo...

Me he olvidado poner : Que cabeza más bien amueblada y contradictoria a la vez, aunque la densidad es una forma de belleza. Eres una artista modificada a empresaria, me suena este caso ¿saldrá bien? El arte es el lenguaje de la ciencia y no la ciencia el lenguaje del arte...

Kisses a lot